Monday, March 26, 2018

Yeah, I know I still suck

So I totally meant to post on here last week when I had spring break, but I got distracted by the chaos in my household- more on that later.  I think I'll start back in December, and update y'all on my life up through now. 
Back in October/ November, one of my friends said she wanted to go to Jingle Ball, so we looked around and got tickets wayyyyyy back in the 400 section in almost the back row of the nosebleeds (tickets were SUPER EXPENSIVE.) Fast forward back to early December, about 2 weeks before the concert, and I'm sitting in class, and I get a call from an unknown number.   I let it go to voicemail, and get a notification that whoever called me left a 5-minute voicemail.  I thought it was weird, but I didn't really think much of it, probably a wrong number.  After class was over, I was walking back to my car with my friend, and we listened to the voicemail.  It was a girl from the radio station calling to tell me that I'd entered to win tickets to Jingle Ball, and I'd won first prize!!! I was SOOO excited and I called my mom (who initially thought it was a scam) and then called the radio station back to claim my prize, 2 tickets to Jingle Ball in DC (10th row, floor seats btw), 2 meet-and-greet passes for Halsey at the DC Jingle Ball, a trip for 2 to Tampa for a weekend, 2 tickets to the Jingle Ball in Tampa (14th row, floor seats), and a $100 Visa gift card.  So my friend and I sold our original Jingle Ball tickets and went to the concert and had an amazing time on Monday, and on Friday after rushing through a final (that I got an A on btw) I picked up my cousin and we flew to Tampa for the Saturday night concert.  A week later, I went to New York City with my family on a day trip (an annual tradition at Christmastime) and on the way home, I got a text from an unknown number, with a Florida area code.  So I did what I always do, and did a google search for the number.  It came up with a name that just so happened to also be the name of one of one of Florida Boy's best friends.  So I of course texted him and asked if he knew anything about it to which he replied "I CAN"T BELIEVE HE ACTUALLY DID IT" I later found out that he'd asked Florida Boy for the number of someone who'd have no idea who he was to send a meme to, and Florida Boy had given him my number.  So this new dude and I sent a bunch of memes back and forth, and we talked for a bit and we still talk and send each other memes like everyday.  And I'm realizing how amazing it is to have friends all over because 1. free place to stay when you travel (which I do A LOT clearly) (especially to Florida) and 2 because while to the scrubs I see everyday it may not look like I have friends, I'm actually living my best life because my friends and I still talk to each other and support each other and help each other out (he's a photographer and I show his work off all the time lol), there's no drama over dumb things.  Also they're both like 11/10 people most of the time so its pretty freakin great. 
My parents have always been about giving us experiences instead of gifts, so for Christmas, they gave us a cruise.  And in their own typical fashion, it sailed out less then a month from when they gave it to us.  We sailed out of Port Canaveral, in Orlando and went to the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk.  It was super fun and warm and we did a lot of snorkeling and eating and it was amazing.  If you've never been on a cruise, I would definitely recommend going on one.  I was on break from December 19-January 28 which was also super duper great.  In addition to going to NYC, Orlando, DR, PR, St Thomas, and Grand Turk, I went to a small town in West Virginia to visit a friend at college, and after one day there, I can tell you that there are some towns that are just too small.  Once school started back up, life got pretty boring again.  Just going to class and work and doing homework for the first couple of weeks, but then a new family took up residence in the basement.  Close family friends this time, a family of 4 (all girls) needed a place to stay because the sewage pipes in their house had backed up all into their basement, because the pipes had broken.  Of all the people we've had stay with us, they've been my favorite so far, because we've known them for so long (since like 2002) and because they've always been so close to us.  They were with us for 2 weeks.  Within those 2 weeks, I got the flu.  I was fine for the first 4 days, typical symptoms, but I was still eating and drinking normally for the most part.  Then came day five.  I woke up around 6:40 that morning, it was a Monday.  (February 12) I had been sleeping on the couch since I'd gotten sick so I could sleep upright, to avoid getting pneumonia.  I went to the bathroom, and then I turned the corner to talk to my dad in his office, since he was working from home that day.  We talked for a few minutes, and then I got very dizzy.  Next thing I knew, I was laying on the ground of the office, and my dad was calling my name.  Mom was on the phone trying to get an ambulance before my dad told her they'd just drive me themselves.  The mom of the downstairs family had heard all the commotion going on and came upstairs to see what was going on.  My parents gave her a 2-second overview and she grabbed a cool rag and helped me to the couch so my parents could put shoes on to go to the Emergency Room.  (She doesn't work in the medical field, but has lots of experience in hospitals and was with us the only other time I've been hospitalized when I was little and had broken my elbow off) After about a 20 minute drive to the nearest GOOD hospital (where another member of the downstairs family happened to work) I was in a bed in the ER.  My dad told the doctors that it looked like I had had a seizure (which they hadn't told me) and the doctors went to work doing all kinds of tests to see what my issue could be.  After they'd done an EKG and taken my blood, a nurse had me stand up so she could take my blood pressure.  I was still fine, but about a minute later I felt very hot.  I told the nurses and I instantly felt nauseous, which I also told them.  At this point my mom left the room (she doesn't handle nausea well) and my dad was in the bathroom, so it was just me, the nurse, and the tech in the room.  I had another seizure.  When I woke up this time, there was half a dozen people crammed into my room watching my monitors and checking that I was responsive.  Now I knew we'd be here for the long haul.  One doctor told me they'd be admitting me to the hospital and doing a bunch  of tests to find out what the issue was.  I had another EKG, a chest x-ray, a flu test, an EEG, a CAT scan, a bunch of blood tests, an echo-cardiogram, and a whole bunch more tests I can't remember.  They wanted to rule out a brain tumor or heart problem. After spending the night in the hospital and meeting with half a dozen doctors, I got released and they blamed the seizures on a slight dip in my electrolytes that caused my blood pressure to plummet whenever I stood up, which in turn caused the seizures. 
After that family left the basement, a Puerto Rican woman and her 3 young sons moved in for about a week.  More school (boring) and then my parents friends from Chicago were with us.  They threw a bridal shower while they were here and everybody helped out to make sure it was PERFECT.  They were only here for a weekend, and after they left, my dad's second cousin and her husband came to stay for a few days.  I was on spring break then.  We went to a military gala on Saturday, and I had dinner with Ms. Maryland Teen 2017 and the Cover Girl 2017 from the same pageant.  They were also there helping.  I think my favorite part of helping out was getting to wear my Prom dress again.  I've worn it three times now and its always fun.  This weekend is Easter, and my parent's friends from Chicago are coming to stay for the weekend again.  I think that's everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment